Course name: Virtual Emergency Support Guide to Visually Impaired
This is a part of a series of courses with certification in association with Mitra Jyothi institute for Blind and other leading institutes. This course will help you learn how to assist someone who is blind or visually impaired as phone buddy in emergency situation such as COVID19.
Three batches have been completed till September 2020. To learn about upcoming sessions, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Advisory Board includes illustrious volunteers and Institutions as below:
USA: Run Bionic, Intelligent Performance Clinic, San Diego
USABA, Marathon National Championships, California
Team with A Vision, Boston Marathon
Bangalore : Mitra Jyothi
Delhi :National Association For The Blind
Ahmedabad: Blind People’s Association
Hyderabad: Devnar Foundation for the blind
Mumbai: All India Andh Stri Hitt Association (AIASHA)
Pune: Mai Bal Bhavan (2019), The Poona School & Home for the Blind girls
Guide/Buddy provide confidential, reliable support that helps individuals who are blind or visually impaired lead the complete, rich, joyful lives they want to live. Guides are matched one-to-one and assist with emergency support activities during COVID19 crisis such as keeping track of elderly visuallyimpaired who are stranded and alone. Guide/Buddy may also be matched as sighted guides for fitness or community activities, thereby opening new doors and opportunities.
Each guide/buddy is thoroughly interviewed, screened, undergoes a thorough background check, and is trained by our experienced GUIDES.
Examples of activities include:
Supporting the elderly VisuallyImpaired,Well Being Check, Serving as sighted guides for running, walking, and home workouts
More details will be provided by email on enrollment!
For recorded learning sessions, visit
Facebook Page: Click here
YouTube : Click here to view all sessions
Learning Session with Chaz Davis, VisuallyImpaired Elite Athlete with PB of 2hr 15 mins for full marathon, Massachussets Association for the Blind, USA
This is a special initiative to support the visually impaired athletes during the lockdown due to Covid-19.
The Phone Buddy encourage and motivate the visually impaired to take care of their health and fitness and improve immunity by explaining how to do simple home workouts. This keeps them happy and healthy in these difficult times.
We soon started receiving calls for help from the needy families esp. Mumbai slums for groceries and medicines. The daily wage workers were out of cash and no means to buy essentials. Many times the free food distribution and ration was available but they were unaware of this information. So the buddy volunteer became a very critical part to reach the information or the essential items.
Phone Buddy are of these types:
- Buddy for Home workouts
- Buddy for Elderly VisuallyImpaired (who are left alone in lockdown)
- Buddy for information/education support (free courses/certifications)
Assessment Checklist is used to start working with visuallyimpaired. Please message Bhumika 9845018103 for the same.
For all the above exercise is important to build immunity!
Guide/Phone Buddy To do (Home workouts):
The visuallyImpaired have been training with us for many months now. We will assign a buddy to existing and new visuallyimpaired based on requests.
- Get the contact number of Visually impaired(VI) from Bhumika or location lead.
- Call the VI at a convenient time .
- Confirm the language they are comfortable with(english, hindi etc) , then use the appropriate language chart below.
- Find out the percentage blindness.
- Check if they are doing fine in lockdown, any other assistance needed, please note and let the lead know to assign one more buddy.
- Find out the current workouts they are doing. Make a note of one week’s workout if they are doing already.
- As the workout intensity goes up, our rate of infection increases, so our goal is to do moderate exercises without causing too much exhaustion. Give rest days. You are not required to workout all 6 days. Example: 2 days of gentle strength workout + 2 days of yoga, breathing exercise, meditation is fine.
- If Vi doesn’t have smart phone or whatsapp, just a verbal communication is enough. If they do have, you can ask for video or picture if they are fine.
To do these workout, the VI will need:
- A sturdy chair or wall nearby for support, so they dont lose balance and fall
- A yoga mat or bed sheet for post workout sitting stretches
- Water bottle filled with your favorite fruit juice or lime juice with salt/sugar
- Supportive shoes if you choose to use them in your workout
- Light hand weights or two water bottles or cans of the same weight
- Small to medium towel.
Note :If vi is partially blind, they can also read the charts we give them, we just have to read and clarify once. Give the chart on whatsapp.
If 100% then more support then they will need extra support or guidance.Ask if a family member is available else stick to simple to do workout close to wall or chair to hold.
Here are some tips to explain to you assigned VI ON THE CALL
1. If you are not currently exercising, start by walking one door to another door at home, for 20 mins, (for at least 2 weeks) to get used to exercise. You can do 2-3 times a week.
IF you are already exercising regularly and walking feels too easy, then you can start by jog-Walk method. Jog to nearest door and walk back..so on for 30 mins.You can do 2-3 times a week.
Guide Buddy Please note down current workout of VI in a week. We will use it to make customized plan.